Monday, December 18, 2006

Sounds Like Home

Funny thing about being home:

I'm here about five minutes and my mastery of the English language goes all to heck.

I speak fluent Berks Countian as soon as I set foot on Pennsylvanian soil. I don't know if I ever really lose my accent, but today I really noticed it.

"Do those towels need washed?" I asked myself aloud, the inflection in my voice that of a statement, rather than a question.

Yup, sure sign you're in eastern PA (that's pronounced "P-A," not "Pennsylvania," to natives) when you drop "to be" and state your questions like facts.

Later on, when someone asked me how I was, I caught myself answering, "Oh, I'm doing good." I rarely use "good" when I should use "well" anymore. I've spent four years of college trying to remember to use "well" properly.

I haven't broken out the Pennsylvania Dutch yet, but it can't be far behind!

3 comments:

phil said...

i dunno if i would admit to the berksian accent publicly. [grins] hey, have a great break and xmas and enjoy the astounding lack of things to do (hopefully).

Emily said...

apparently talking to yourself is not what worries you... it's your accent.

Anonymous said...

just because you get to spend time with ben, emily, michael, and angela does not mean you get to stop blogging - what about those you left behind!!! what about those who are not there who want to be but are left at home to watch smallville (which i loath) all alone. you have a duty and responsiblity and I demand that you fulfull it.

* you may not quote or use any of the above against me in the future - you reading this will be seen as a legal and binding agreement(and I'll know)