Friday, December 22, 2006

On Ben's Birthday (But Really All About Leslie)

Today is Benjamin Allen Yancer's Birthday.

Now, you may think that since it is titled "On Ben's Birthday" that this post is for my friend Ben.

If you thought that, you'd be wrong. Really, it's for Leslie. Although it's for Ben too. But I'm with him. He knows it's his birthday. We're spending the whole day celebrating him. So he must needs share his day with Leslie, at least when it comes to this post.

Apparently calling Leslie three times in a row because we heard songs that remind us of her isn't enough. First a Grey's Anatomy song... then "SexyBack"... then another Grey's song... It's like Leslie was right here with us. (NO FREAKIN' WAY! "SexyBack" just now came on! Again! Leslie, are you running this station!?!?).

And also, we three friends of Leslie ate pears this morning. We thought of her. Ben made out with his pear in her honor. Really, you probably just had to be there, but I laughed so hard. (I'm sorry for you readers who aren't Leslie, and therefore don't get it. Apparently one time Leslie was trying to take a nap, and Ben was thoroughly enjoying a really yummy pear, and Leslie thought it sounded like people making out, and it really grossed her out.)

Oh yeah--back to Ben's birthday. Just to keep up appearances, you know. Ben's 24 years old today. That seems old, but really, it's only a year and a half older than me (yup, today's my half-birthday. Gifts can be delivered by cash, check, or PayPal).

He's getting some cool stuff for his birthday, but he doesn't know it yet. I think I know about pretty much all of it, which I thoroughly enjoy. We're going to an adult arcade (? I've no idea--I've never really played video games, but it sounds like fun) and then out to Thai food. The Thai food part makes it feel like maybe it's my birthday too. Thai food is so ridiculously good. Oh yeah, by the way, I'm in Maryland. In case y'all hadn't picked up on that.

Alright, I think we've established that this post is really about Leslie, and only nominally about Ben. So I'll wrap it up.

Ben, Happy Birthday! I'm glad that you're around to remind me that 24 really isn't that old. Actually, I'm just glad you're around. I hope you have a good birthday.

Leslie, we miss you crazily. The wierdest, dumbest things make me think of you--like when Ben walks around the kitchen with a blanket wrapped around him like a strapless dress, because that's how you wear blankets too. Or any song with a beat. Or anyone who's loud. I love you, and I miss you, and I wish you were here. I can't wait until I'm back in Lincoln with you for three days. (You suck for leaving.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aaaawwwwwww!!!! i feel so loved!!! thank you ben for sharing your birthday (blog) with me...even if you had no choice. and thanks katie and em for making me feel included in your fun and music. i would love to hear sexyback but ben took his puter home with him. =(.. that just means i'll have to listen to it repeatedly when you guys get back. sorry i couldn't answer your calls - i worked. thanks for missing me! love you guys and i miss you all too!

Gina said...

MARYLAND!!! and you aren't coming to see me!!!! so close, yet so far away....lol
merry christmas Katie!