Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Rules of Christmas

Just saw this on the Early Show:

Your boss is supposed to give you a gift for Christmas in the $50 range.

You're not supposed to give your boss anything.

You have to give the nanny a tip and a gift. The tip should be a week's pay, or if she's worked for you more than a year, two weeks' pay. The gift should be a designer handbag or something else she wouldn't give herself.

Gifts that touch the skin (perfume, sweaters, soaps, lotions) are not deemed appropriate for office gift-giving.

Postal employees are not allowed to accept gifts more than $20.

Teachers prefer gift cards, and you are obliged to give them in the $25 range.

It is bad etiquette to give alcohol, fattening foods, or religious cards to a person you do not know well.

No wonder people don't like Christmas sometimes--so many rules!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be willing to accept gift cards in the $25 range. But today I would be happy just to receive words of affirmation. It's one of those days.

Katie said...

Ang, it is for me as well. Huh.

How about:

You are a person with a beautiful soul. I know this through your blog, e-mails, and the couple of times I've met you, but I also know this through the way your friends love you wholeheartedly. You are amazing. They think of you often, and say, "oh, one time Ang said this," or "if Angela were here..." You get the idea. You're loved.

phil said...

the early show...isn't that on early in the morning [shudder]. if i was rich i would probably just give everyone fifties and call it a day. i'm sure there are no rules against that. but considering my current pecuniary state, i am pretty sure that ones would not have the same effect.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the words.