Sometimes I'm Not Selfish
A lot of times, I'm pretty selfish. It bothers me. I live by myself, and my whole job right now is to pretty much make sure that everything goes well for me. No husband. No kids. No roommate. Family far away. It's just me.
It makes me crazy, because I don't really do to much for anybody but myself. Who's the only one who can change that? Me. Do I? Most times not. I talk a lot about thinking globally and how Christianity and social justice go hand-in-hand, but let's face it, talk is cheap, folks.
It's a sad story.
Lately I've been eyeing/longing for/coveting one of these:
I drooled onto my filled-up-harddrive, sadly slow, pathetically PC desktop computer today while perusing the Apple website, trying to fathom a way to possibly obtain a new MacBook.
I noticed something. I think they call it a marketing gimmick.
Apparently, with the student discount and choosing low-end options, I could have a decent MacBook for less than $30 a month with Apple's financing plans. Whoa.
It crossed my mind that I sponsor two kids through WorldVision and Compassion: Grace from Ecuador and James from Zambia. I love 'em. They cost $35 a month each. And it occurred to me that I could make a choice that would have a MacBook at my fingertips in mere days. And I'd still be doing more for the children of the world than most people (especially of my age and financial state) by sponsoring just one child.
But there's not a chance in, er, heck, that I'd be willing to give up either of those kids for a new toy, no matter how much convinience, joy, fun, and ease it would bring to my own life.
So sometimes I'm not selfish. Just for the record.



6 comments:
hahahaha i am actually going to start saving for one of those macs and by senior year i hope to have my hands on one. :))
Don't give up either one of those kids. They're precious. Save up your pennies and you'll have one in your hands soon enough. :))
btw is it just me or did u change your background?
Lol. You're one of the most unselfish people I know. You put the rest of us to shame.
whatever greg. that's exactly what i'd say about you.
i was thinking of you today. of maybe writing you a letter. if i had your address. since you haven't written me or anything.
you do lots of things for other people, like just being available and being fun to be around. top quality katie - that's what you are, well and a superstar - that's also what you are...but not ghetto. enough with that. i'm glad you are in my life
Thanks Pedro. I should name my blog that--"Katie the Superstar." I like it. :)
Post a Comment