Tuesday, October 17, 2006

tim on leno

Wow, am I ever overcome with blogginess lately!

Last night as I was crawling into bed around 11:00, I flipped on the TV. I didn't have any books that I felt like reading, so I figured I'd unwind in a classically American and totally-not-me manner by TV-ing myself to sleep.

I got lucky. I didn't even have to channel surf--there he was, in 9-inch-television-glory, Tim McGraw. Yup, last night, Timmy was on Leno. I never watch Leno. But I did last night. I love him.

They chatted and Jay made cracks about Tim and Faith both being from the South and thus the likelihood of their sharing the same grandmother, blah blah blah, and then he sang. Timmy's starring in a new remake film called Flicka and the song he performed was "My Little Girl," the single from the movie and off his Greatest Hits II album. I'd never heard it before.

It was the most disappointing performance I've seen Tim McGraw do. There were a couple of times where I wondered, "Is that really Tim McGraw not carrying a tune?" The songwriting wasn't exceptional either. It just wasn't a strong performance.

But the song was sweet in that daddy-daughter-tear-jerker-tune sort of way. The last verse really got me:

Someday, some boy will come and ask me for your hand.
But I won't say "yes" to him unless I know
he's the half
that makes you whole,
he has a poet's soul, and the heart of a man's man.

I know he'll say that he's in love,
but between you and me, he won't be good enough.

I liked that "poet's soul" line. It's an embarrassingly sappy song, but it was kinda nice. Maybe the songwriting's not as bad as I thought if it stuck with me even though I didn't think it was Tim McGraw's best work. It's worth a listen if you're a country fan.

Mostly, though, it made me miss my dad. I love him.


1 comment:

Emily said...

and you didn't call me why???