Friday, October 27, 2006

Better

Today, a boy gave me flowers. (I know what you're thinking, and no, it wasn't the singing vacuum man.)

I woke up early this morning. It was hard, but it was for a good cause.

It was to bring doughnuts and juice to my bosses at the TLC. The four of them have staff meeting on Friday mornings. Three weeks ago, on a particularly bad day, I brought them doughnuts and juice to brighten up my day. It worked, and it seemed to make them pretty happy too. So I thought I'd try it again.

The office was open earlier than I expected, so I didn't get to be secretive like I'd hoped to. As I sheepishly placed the bundle of goodies on Ben's desk, he smiled at me. I wasn't surprised. Doughnuts are a good reason to smile (epecially when you're Ben).

But then he reached behind the lamp, pulled out a bouquet of flowers in a Nalgene-bottle vase, and handed them to me. "These are from Jeremy [Barber]," he said.

Now there are pretty orange daisy-looking flowers in a mason jar on my counter. And they make me smile. Every so often I just lean back in my chair and look at them. All through class today, I stared off and thought about my flowers. I'm tempted to just carry them around all day, smelling and staring at them.

Jeremy is a wise, wise man. Giving your girlfriend flowers is a very smart thing to do. Giving your girlfriend flowers and your regular-old-friend flowers is absolutely brilliant. Krissy is an exceptionally blessed woman.

My tendancy is to shut everybody out until spring rather than own up to what's going on in my life right now. It's taking all my effort not to clam up and isolate myself from the people I need the most. Being real with people is something I have to be very intentional about right now (thus the transparency of my blogging lately).

And yet somehow my friend Jeremy knew right what I need without my even telling him. Apparently, it's his gift, as this isn't the first time he's made my whole day brighter. Thank you, my friend. You've no idea what a difference you've made. You were Jesus to me today.

I brought doughnuts to some people I really like this morning. The sun is shining today for the first time in days. I have flowers in my room. I've only one more class until the weekend. And the Andrew Peterson concert is tonight.

Today is a better day.

PS: Jer, did you know that daisies are my favorite? Amazing!

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

You just can't go wrong with daises. "You know daises are just the friendliest flower" Today truely is a great end to a crazy week. Like you said- there is sunshine and a little warmth, it is Friday, Andrew Peterson is already here with the Bens... It doesn't get much better. A cup of coffee (or tea) with a cinnamon roll sounds great right now.

Katie said...

I'm coming to your house now. Walking! Which is amazing, it's been so awful out! I love that you say "the Bens." :) Me too. I'm a little jealous that they picked him up, aren't you?

Gina said...

Whoa Katie, I'm glad you had such a great day! Tonight is the Crowder concert! If it doesn't go too late I will call you afterwards...It's been way too long since I've talked to you! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

I shed a little tear for you. As I'm wont to do these days. It's sunny here today, so I'm feeling a little better, but still drained. Thanks for your comment. It is wonderful, isn't it, to know that someone understands? I've never been diagnosed, but I don't doubt that I have it. Unless I'm crazy. Which is actually quite possible. Anyway, glad someone brightened up your day.